Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Melding new products with ecological and economical alternatives. (wet mops)

Wet Mops.
I flat out refused to buy a Swiffer Wetjet. I used to be in LOVE with my old one. But the solution bottles are made so you cannot reuse them and are forced to buy more Swiffer Solution. And I've grown to dislike Swiffer scents, they trigger migraines if I'm not careful.
What I really want is a Rubbermaid Reveal. Sold as a unit with no pre-packaged solution, a competely refillable solution container and cloth mop pads instead of paper! Eventually. But for now, I've found a decent solution!

The Clorox Ready Mop runs a little cheaper than a Swiffer Wet Jet by $0.50-$1.00. It does come with pre-packaged solution. However, the Ready Mop solution bottles are designed to be sturder, thus lasting longer. The bottle also screws into the mop, instead of clicking, which means I can refill an emptied bottle and refill it with whatever solution I choose. And while the Ready Mop line sells paper mop pads, they aren't necessary. The Ready Mop is designed so you can attach cloth easily (unlike the Swiffer mop pads which attach with very thin, week hook & loop, thus making it difficult for economical/ecological minded individules to find an easy alternative to their wasteful, costly mop pads).


So what did I do? I bought a Clorox Ready Mop Starter Kit for under $15 at the PX. I found scrap cotton linen from an old sewing project and an old terry cloth towel. Then, using the paper mop pads that came with the starter kit as a rough pattern, I cut out and sewed together a few easy, sturdy reusable mop pads! One side is cotton linen, as a sort of liner. The second is the terry. I could double the terry to make it more absorbant so I can use a single mop pad longer if I wanted to as well.


And here is a solution recipe I'd like to share!


50/50% - Water & Vinegar
Add 1-2 tsp Olive Oil for Sheen
Add a few drops Essential Oil for scent if wanted. Tea Tree Oil is great as it's a natural disinfectant. Other great oils for a clean scent include Lavender, Sweet Orange, Lemon and Eucalyptus.


This is completely my sole opinion.

No comments: